Friday, November 30, 2007

Saltillo Sarape Weaving in Purple

This weaving is in the style of Saltillo, Mexico which has morphed into the Chimayo Style. Weavings with a large serrate design in the middle are called sarapes. This sarape was started three days ago and last night I reached the center.

Saltillo sarape weaving in purple

When I first tried this design I was unable to finish the second half because it was confusing. Then I was told that it is a mirror image of the first half and with that I was able to complete the second half. Creating a mirror image means doing everything the opposite of the first half.

The colors are purple (campo or field), black, indigo, light gray, natural white, and light yellow which are used in the sanefa (band) and in the center serrete design in the same order.


1 comment:

Maaii said...

Your weaving is very beautiful! My father's family is from Chimayo and I have always wanted to learn how to make these beautiful works myself. I commend you for taking the time to learn. Thank you for sharing your work online.